My Summer of Code proposal relates to the creation of a framework – both a plugin and a theme – that would do what I needed for WordCamp New Zealand. It would take a whole WordPress install – stock, of course – and transform it into a full event management platform. It would make the process that was once so hard very easy. EventBrite and Meetup.com do their jobs quite well, but in their own rite they’re not masters of the trade. Each one doesn’t do the whole package, either. It focuses on one component or another and not the bigger picture.
The spec of the frontend would be fairly straight-forward. I need to field more secondary data in order to understand a bit more about this, and given more time, would probably end up shifting a few things or adding more in.
* Media (could act as widgets as well, collected from outside services such as flickr and twitter)
The spec of the backend would be as follows: Interaction:
* User Registration – different user levels
* User Communication (allowing event organisers to email sponsors, users,
* User Interaction – prologue-like communication
* External plugins/services
* Integration with WP-Ecommerce to purchase tickets*
* Social Media Integration – flickr, twitter, vimeo, etc.
* Admin -> Admin communication – prologue-like
* Admin -> Speaker communication – prologue-like
* Task management and assignment
* Ability to build and publish event schedule on the fly (automated, this usually takes hours)
* Ability for speakers to request time slots and view schedule
* Ability for users to rate speakers afterwards